Making Peace with Food

Making Peace with Food

Hello everyone!!! I’m back today with hopefully some helpful inspiration and gentle reminders!!
So, I want to start off my saying each and everyone of you are so beautiful and amazing and please don’t let anyone influence your food choices but you. You are the only one who can truly tell what your body needs. Body size does not dictate health in anyway. This being said; Once I decided to fully dive into intuitive eating, one step I needed to take, was making peace with food. I gave myself permission to eat anything I wanted, to eat those foods I’d placed restrictions or limits on. I made a list of foods I like and circled the ones I haven't let myself eat in a while. I made a list of ice cream, pizza, donuts, french fries, chips, etc. I decided to slowly incorporate all these back into my diet. For me, ice cream is now my go to after dinner snack/dessert. I like to have some with a brownie or in a cone. I also realized I really like ice cream, pizza, and donuts, but I don’t really love french fries and chips. That’s not to say I hate fries and chips and will never eat them again. I might crave some French Fries occasionally or eat chips because that's whats convenient or available.

It’s okay to not like foods you've placed off limits before, but it's not okay to not keep restricting them if you truly do like them. I used to love french fries even more than ice cream. When my family would go to Braum's for some ice cream, I would get fries. But now I’d never turn down ice cream, and I don’t really have a taste for fries. Our taste buds change and that is OK!! However there is a difference between making yourself think you don’t like something and actually not liking something.

For the longest time I told myself I didn’t like French fries. I knew they were higher calorie and weren't the most nutritional thing in the world, and that scared me honestly. I made myself believe I didn't like them. So, one day I went to chick fil a, I got the nuggets and decided to get fries. I was starving, so I thought the fries would be more filling than the fruit and was expecting them to taste delicious, but they really didn’t. And that’s when I knew, I didn’t care for them much. Every once in a while I do crave a good fry, but if I have other options I probably won’t be choosing fries. Everybody is different and if you love French fries, please eat them!!!! 

A couple weekends ago, I spent the night with my grandparents one Saturday night and they asked what I wanted for dinner. Pizza sounded good, so that's what we got! We got a thin crust with cheese and onion, and it was the kind you bake at home. We took it home and I wasn't quite hungry yet, so we waited a little; then later I realized I was starving, so we put it in the oven. My grandma fixed us up a little side salad, and we sat in the living room and ate our pizza. After a small salad and two pieces, I still wasn't really filled up; the crust was very thin, so without a second thought my grandpa and I both got up and grabbed another slice. The purpose of eating food is not to feel guilty, but to give you energy AND enjoyment. I knew that since I was still hungry, my body wanted more energy. There is no reason to feel guilty for giving your body what it needs. That's what allows to to be who we are and do what we do. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to Realistically Start Eating Intuitively - Step 1

My Everyday Make Up Routine

Product Review: Hair Mask